As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you tired of spending a fortune on tarps that only last a few uses?
Look no further than your own linen closet!
With a few simple steps, you can turn old bed sheets into durable waterproof tarps that will stand up to the elements.
- Old bed sheets
- Hardware store grade silicone sealant
- Slip knot
- Clean the bed sheets to remove any dirt or debris.
- Mix the silicone sealant with naphtha to thin it out.
- Apply the thinned silicone sealant to the bed sheet using a paintbrush.
- Hang the bed sheet out to dry overnight.
- Repeat the process on the other side of the bed sheet.
- Attach the tarp to your desired location using a rock and slip knot.
Tips and Tricks
- The amount of silicone and solvent needed depends on how much fabric needs treatment1.
- Be sure to work in a well-ventilated area and wear gloves to protect your hands from the chemicals2.
- Use a paintbrush with stiff bristles to work the silicone into the fabric3.
- Hang the bed sheet out to dry in a place where it won’t stick to itself or other surfaces2.
- To create eyelets for attaching the tarp, fold the edges over and sew them in place2.
With this simple DIY project, you can turn old bed sheets into durable waterproof tarps that will save you money and reduce waste.
Plus, you’ll feel like a true outdoorsman with your homemade tarp!
- 3 https://hackaday.com/2022/11/23/hardware-store-chemicals-transform-sheets-into-waterproof-tarps/
- 2 https://theprepared.com/blog/turn-old-bed-sheets-into-durable-waterproof-tarps/
- 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvNjKQZKcZM
- 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z8L4vZBQrQ
- 1 https://homehacks.co/turning-a-sheet-into-a-tarp/