As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
With the popularity of “The Purge” franchise, it’s no surprise that people are wondering how they would survive in a real-life Purge scenario.
While we hope that such a thing never happens, it’s always good to be prepared.
Here are some tips on how to survive a real-life Purge, inspired by the top ranking articles on the topic.
The most important thing you can do in a Purge-like situation is to hide.
According to Justin Williams, director and lead instructor at Sigma 3 Survival School, the biggest thing you can do is to fit the baseline.
This means matching your surroundings and not sticking out.
Stay close to buildings and far away from highways where attackers could be lurking.
Be Prepared to Defend Yourself
It’s difficult to think about how you might act in a real-life Purge, but it’s important to create an improvised defense plan.
Williams suggests that in any case, it’d be important to create an improvised defense plan.
This could include finding a safe place to hide, barricading yourself in, and having weapons on hand to defend yourself if necessary.
Stay Away from People with Masks
Purgers love covering their faces on Purge Night.
Avoid anyone wearing a mask!
Don’t trust anyone, not your friends, not your family, and not your neighbors.
Get off the streets and stay indoors at all times, with no exceptions.
Lock the doors and windows and stay away from the people in charge.
Starting with the first movie in the franchise, it’s clear that the titular 12 hours of mayhem are mostly a way to kill the poor.
So, if you want to increase your chances of survival, be rich.
Make your fortune and stay away from the poor areas.
The movies themselves establish that, for the most part, regular people don’t really go after each other during the Purge.
It’s live and let live, so don’t get caught up in elitist acts of pretentious ritual murder, which backfire far too frequently.
Dos and Don’ts
Finally, here are some dos and don’ts for surviving the Purge:
- Stay indoors at all times, with no exceptions.
- Lock the doors and windows.
- Have weapons on hand to defend yourself if necessary.
- Be humble and hide in trash cans or other inconspicuous places.
- Make friends with some hillbillies and go fishing in a national park.
- Don’t get caught up in elitist acts of pretentious ritual murder.
- Don’t be out in the road in a tank top and shorts.
- Don’t trust anyone, not your friends, not your family, and not your neighbors.
- Don’t get the mail, don’t try to beat traffic, and don’t put yourself in a position in which you and yours will need a beer, pizza, or anything else.
Remember, surviving a real-life Purge is not guaranteed, but these tips can help increase your chances.
Stay safe out there!