As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you a prepper looking to store sugar for the long term?
Look no further!
In this blog post, we’ll cover everything you need to know about storing sugar, including the best containers, storage conditions, and shelf life.
The Shelf Life of Sugar
That means that sugar is like edible white gold in your prepper pantry.
A quick internet search will reveal stories of sugar lasting for decades or even centuries.
However, it’s important to note that the shelf life of sugar can be affected by storage conditions.
The Best Containers for Storing Sugar
Here are some of the most popular:
- Polyethylene bags: These bags are suitable for dry sugar storage. However, they don’t block all oxygen, meaning the contents won’t get hard
- Mylar-type bags: These bags are also suitable for dry sugar storage. They provide a better oxygen barrier than polyethylene bags, but they can be more expensive
- Food-grade plastic buckets: These are a good option for storing larger quantities of sugar. They should have a gasket lid (aka gamma lid) to provide a tight seal3.
- Glass canning jars: These work best for liquid syrups and honey. They can also be used for dry sugar storage, but they are more fragile than plastic or metal containers
- #10 cans: These are also suitable for dry sugar storage. They are airtight and provide a good oxygen barrier
Storage Conditions for Sugar
Here are some tips for storing sugar:
- Moisture: The humidity in the storage environment should be low. If dried foods pick up moisture from the storage area, molds and bacteria can grow. This can lead to spoilage
- Temperature: Sugar should be stored in a cool, dry place. High temperatures can cause sugar to clump and harden
Tips for Storing Brown Sugar
Brown sugar should be kept in an air-tight container.
Storing sugar for the long term is easy if you follow these tips.
Remember to choose the right container, store sugar in a cool, dry place, and keep it away from moisture and household chemicals.
With these precautions, your sugar will last for years to come!
- 2 https://extension.usu.edu/foodstorage/htm/dry-food-storage
- 1 https://theprovidentprepper.org/food-storage-what-is-the-actual-shelf-life-of-granulated-or-white-sugar/
- 3 https://www.primalsurvivor.net/store-sugar-long-term/
- 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxJ8JQ2J5zQ
- 4 https://www.backdoorsurvival.com/tips-on-how-to-store-sugar-long-term/